Saturday, March 29, 2008

Haven't you always wanted a monkey?

*All apologies, this spacing thing is driving me crazy. Also, the paragraphs were spaced and when I tried re-spacing them, Blogger didn't cooperate.
It's an age old question:

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WON THE LOTTERY?
It's always a good question to ask, I guess if you run out of stuff to talk about. I always think about it when I pass billboards or see the new Florida Lottery commercials where they tell you that if you play an extra dollar, you can add 10 million dollars to the jackpot. If you play 2 extra dollars, you can add 25 million to the jackpot. Of course, adding that money would not increase your chances at winning.
You see shows about the "Curse of the Lottery", talking of people that win and lose the money within years of winning. You hear great stories of people winning with the last dollar they had to their name. I'm a normal hard working person and I wanna win.
If I won the lottery... just for numbers sake, we'll say 58 million dollars. The first thing I would do is quit my job. Not because I don't like working, but because I would like to open up my own place, use my own ideas and make my own rules.
Next, I would pay off my brother's mortgage, and my sister's mortgage as well as provide adequate vehicles for both them and their spouses.
I would purchase a home on the lake in Southwestern New York where I can go when I go back to visit and my family can stay there whenever they go too.
I would tell my parents to go anywhere... anywhere in the country and find exactly where they want to live. I would buy a lot and build them a house; one that has floors and a foundation that stands firm.
All of my nieces and nephews would want for nothing. They would not be spoiled by any means. However, I would be sure that they received the best education possible. This doesn't mean they will not understand the meaning of a dollar. I will pay for their education, but will ask for grades every semester. If they are not passing or if grades are slipping, they will be cut off.
If I had the money, I would also book flights whenever I wanted to go see my seester and brother as much as possible. I miss them like crazy. I would fly to see ~j. when things happen like Bubby breaking out into hives/rashes/delirium just to take the girls on a special date so she can have some respite.
I would buy my grandfather a driver to take him to and from anywhere he needs to go. I would also purchase said driver a home near Gramps so he is at his dispose whenever he needs.
I'd be sure my friends were taken care of.

These are a few things I would do. Of course, I would have to pay the taxes on the winnings, leaving me with probably only half of what the jackpot is, but still, I think I'll still have enough to do that.

I won't need to pay for a lawyer because his retainer will be taken care of when I pay off his mortgage.

I guess if I want to win, I better start playing.

What would you do?

3 comments:

~j. said...

Sounds like you've really thought this through, Tia, and I have to say I like your plans. Your outline shows just how selfless and caring you are.

I'm always annoyed at when people complain about the prospects of winning: "Yeah, but I'd have to pay all those taxes on the money...". Right. As if winning a million but only getting a half-million dollars for free isn't a very good deal.

I've thought vaguely about what I'd do, but my plans are simple, and I don't really know for certain. Family vacations would be involved.

Carina said...

A nice, reliant automobile.

My pay off sounds a lot like yours.

I'd want to do some really great surprise things for my friends as well. Nothing says I have 48 million dollars like paying off a bunch of mortgages!!

I would take a lot of trips, and bring people I love as well. A house here (designed by an architect, natch) that isn't too big, but is just right. A place on the beach in Spain, maybe a few other houses all over the world for friends and family to use.

I'd like to do some good in the world, so I'd probably want to partner with some NGOs to do micro-credit loans, and offer scholarships.

Oh, yeah, and I would quit my job (because the boat would be paid off.)

La Yen said...

There would be a cruise ship filled with all of my friends and family. And other things. A Picasso or a Garfunkel, for sure.