Wednesday, April 11, 2007

needing inspiration

I don't know if any of you suffer from the same thing I do... enlighten me.

I have to clean my house. I have clutter to get rid of. I have mounds of paper to shred. Dirty floors to be swept and mopped and vaccuumed... (dirty in MY eyes. Not so much in S's) Countertops that need to be 409'd... (not because they're sticky or messy, but because I'm slightly OCD about that). Laundry that needs to be washed. You get the jist.

But I don't want to. I don't get the bug to start doing such chores until about an hour before leaving for work and then EVERYDAY on my drive to work I chant in my head, "Tomorrow I will get up, and pick up the clutter. I will sort through the papers I don't need and organize my bills. I will do all the laundry so I'm not waiting til the last minute to have that clean cute outfit."

Instead, I get up, read the paper online, have my coffee, check my email... I procrastinate. I have 2 days off now and want to want to want to so bad get these things done. But it's not fun.

Please don't get me wrong, we are not slobs. I, for one, like my beeg seester, am a recovering pack rat. It's a disease that haunts many. Do I really need my pay stubs from my first job in 1996? Probably not. And what about those pants that just might make a comeback next season? I should just probably get a new pair when they do.

There are so many things I want to get done. But I'd rather, oh, I don't know, check my email numerous times a day just to verify how unpopular I am. Check my myspace for the same reasons.

I'm going to try to get started. Just blogging about it has motivated me a little.


...but I have to check my email first.

3 comments:

~j. said...

Hm. Seems to me that you don't necessarily lack the ability to clean, and I know that you're good at it. But here's a suggestion:

Hire someone to clean your house for you. That atleast will give you the motivation you need to declutter, and then the cleaning is done for you. It may seem like a paradox, hiring someone to clean when you're perfectly capable, skilled, and even enjoy cleaning. But if what you need help with is decluttering, then hire someone to help. This will give you a deadline.

I'll keep thinking...

sue-donym said...

Set a timer. If I am ever unmotivated I tell myself "I will give it 15 min and see how much I can do". Well once I get started I am off and running.

Plus do what ~j says. Changed my LIFE!

Carina said...

I get distracted easily. I find that if I plug into music or turn on NPR for Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me or some other fun program, I get more done. My cleaning life improved once I got an iPod on which to put downloaded episodes of NPR programs. I'd just plug in and start cleaning.